OSWEGO – At its meeting Monday night, the Common Council authorized a public hearing on the proposed amendments to the Section 8 Rental Assistance Program Administrative Plan.
The hearing is scheduled for Monday, December 10, at 7:10 p.m. in the Council Chambers at City Hall.
The changes being proposed and those already in place over the last two years seek to change the program from a “handout” to more of a “hand up,” Mayor Billy Barlow said.
It’s the first total comprehensive update of the plan since 1976.
Nate Emmons, director of the city’s Rental Assistance Program, said the current policy is nearly 200 pages; the proposed policy weighs around 10 pounds and is more than 400 pages long.
Emmons will have a copy of the document available for review in his office, 159 Liberty St. It will also be posted on the city’s website, he said.
In other business, councilors accepted an application from Oswego County Opportunities for connection to the city of Oswego’s stormwater sewer system for property located at 172 City Line Road. .
The application will be referred to the Engineering Department for review and then back to the council for consideration.
The council approved:
• A request for use of city properties by the Oswego YMCA for its annual Reindeer Run to be held December 8.
• A request for use of city properties for Trinity Catholic School for the fourth annual Trinity Turkey Trot to be held November 18 at noon.
• The bid Submitted by Bonnet Sales and Services ($29,888) for the installation of seven exterior doors at the Eastside Fire Station. Funds are available in the department’s budget.
• GHD Consulting Engineers’ proposal ($50,000) for a water treatment evaluation at the Water Treatment Plant was accepted. Community Development Block Grant Program Income will be used to pay for the project.
• The proposal ($10,000) from the Asbestos and Environmental Consulting Corporation for limited hazardous material pre-demolition surveys at 100 E. Ninth St. and 84 E. Schuyler St.
• A request to seek bids for the general contracting for building repairs to Safe Haven and the Theater Building located at Fort Ontario, building repairs to City Hall, roofs for the High Dam and Water Plant, and street restoration and widening of Munn Street. The bids will be sought by Onondaga County Purchasing through the shared services agreement.
• Fire Chief Randy Griffin’s request to send a firefighter to the Fire Officer II Course to be held December 3-7 in Montour Falls was approved.