OSWEGO COUNTY – The Oswego County Health Department reported today (May 26) that a skunk has tested positive for rabies in the town of Minetto.
A dog which came in contact with the skunk was up-to-date on its rabies shots and was given a rabies booster shot as a required precaution.
There was no human exposure.
“The rabies virus is widespread in Oswego County and across the region this spring, and we are continuing to receive new reports,” said Jiancheng Huang, Oswego County Public Health Director. “Historically, in years past, the rabies virus appeared in every town, village and city across the county. People should make sure that their pets are properly vaccinated and take precautions against rabies.”
Any time a person or pet comes in contact with a sick or suspicious-acting animal, the incident should be reported to the county health department as soon as possible.
A bite or scratch on the skin should be washed immediately with soap and water.
To report a possible exposure, call the Health Department weekdays at 315-349-3564.
In an emergency during evenings, weekends, or holidays, call the department’s answering service at 315-341-0086.
“Our staff is available around the clock to respond to such incidents,” said Huang.
New York State Public Health Law requires that all dogs, cats, and ferrets be vaccinated against rabies.
“The Oswego County Health Department holds immunization clinics throughout the year to help meet this need in the community,” said Huang. “I encourage residents to take advantage of these clinics to get their pets vaccinated.”
Remaining clinics will be held at these locations this summer and fall:
– West Monroe: Wednesday, June 7, 6 to 8 p.m., Town Highway Garage, 46 County Rte. 11.
– Granby: Wednesday, July 12, 6 to 8 p.m., Town Highway Garage, 820 County Rte. 8.
– Volney: Wednesday, Aug. 9, 6 to 8 p.m., Bristol Hill Landfill maintenance building, 3125 State Rte. 3.
– Palermo: Wednesday, Sept. 13, 6 to 8 p.m., Town Highway Garage, 1572 County Rte. 45.
– Scriba: Wednesday, Nov. 1, 6 to 8 p.m., County Highway Garage, 31 Schaad Drive.