Effective 5 p.m. all Oswego City Centro service will operate Bridge Street only from SUNY Campus Center to Walmart for remainder of day
2 p.m. Early Departure for State Employees in Storm Areas
In light of the weather conditions associated with today’s winter storm, State offices in Allegany, Cattaraugus, Cayuga, Chautauqua, Erie, Genesee, Livingston, Monroe, Niagara, Ontario, Orleans, Oswego, Wayne and Wyoming counties are closed as of 2 pm. This includes the offices of the Attorney General, State Comptroller and State Education. A directed early departure for non-essential employees is hereby granted and employees are released from work without charge to credits. Essential employees should report to work as directed by management.
Cayuga County Legislature Chairman Michael Chapman has closed the County Offices including the Department of Motor Vehicles today at 2 p.m. due to the weather.
OSWEGO and JEFFERSON COUNTIES INCLUDING THE CITIES OF OSWEGO and WATERTOWN
635 AM EDT WED MAR 12 2014
WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 8 AM THIS MORNING TO 8 AM EDT THURSDAY…
* LOCATIONS…OSWEGO AND JEFFERSON COUNTIES.
* TIMING…LIGHT SNOW WILL BECOME HEAVY BY EARLY AFTERNOON AND CONTINUE THROUGH MUCH OF TONIGHT.
* HAZARDS…HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW.
* ACCUMULATIONS…5 TO 9 INCHES TODAY…4 TO 8 INCHES TONIGHT AND AN INCH OR LESS THURSDAY…LEADING TO STORM TOTALS OF 10 TO 16 INCHES.
* WINDS…NORTH 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 40 MPH PRODUCING AREAS OF BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW.
* VISIBILITIES…LESS THAN A QUARTER MILE AT TIMES.
* IMPACTS…THE COMBINATION OF HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW WILL RESULT IN SEVERE WINTER TRAVEL CONDITIONS THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT. DRIVING WILL BECOME EXTREMELY DIFFICULT OR EVEN NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE AT TIMES. VISIBILITY WILL BE DRAMATICALLY REDUCED WITH DEEP SNOW COVER ON ROADWAYS DURING THE PEAK OF THE STORM.
PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS: A WINTER STORM WARNING IS ISSUED WHEN SEVERE WINTER WEATHER IS EXPECTED. HEAVY SNOW AND/OR ICE WILL CAUSE HAZARDOUS DRIVING
CONDITIONS. IF YOU WILL BE TRAVELING IN THE WARNING AREA YOU SHOULD CHOOSE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE IF POSSIBLE OR YOU SHOULD USE EXTREME CAUTION IF TRAVEL IS UNAVOIDABLE.
IF YOU LOSE POWER AND PLAN ON RUNNING A GENERATOR MAKE SURE THAT THE GENERATOR IS LOCATED OUTDOORS AND IS PROPERLY VENTILATED.
SPACE HEATERS SHOULD ALSO BE PROPERLY VENTILATED AND USED ONLY IF THEY ARE OPERATING PROPERLY.
MAKE SURE SNOW DOES NOT BLOCK EXHAUSTS AND FRESH AIR INTAKES FOR HIGH EFFICIENCY FURNACES AND WATER HEATERS.
STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO OR YOUR FAVORITE SOURCE OF WEATHER INFORMATION FOR THE LATEST UPDATES. ADDITIONAL DETAILS CAN ALSO BE FOUND AT WWW.WEATHER.GOV/BUFFALO