FULTON, NY – The New York Landmarks Conservancy has announced 13 Sacred Sites Grants totaling $200,000 awarded to historic religious properties throughout New York State including $2,250 to State Street United Methodist Church in Fulton to help fund a conditions report.
“Religious institutions are worth saving for their beauty and history alone,” said Peg Breen, president of The New York Landmarks Conservancy. “But maintaining them also allows congregations to provide social service, educational and cultural programs to the wider community. That’s why the Landmarks Conservancy has been proud to help restore hundreds of religious buildings throughout the state for more than 25 years.”
State Street United Methodist Church was completed in 1894 to the designs of architect J.H.Seeber.
Originally, the church was built as a small chapel with two attached classrooms.
In 1900, Seeber designed an auditorium plan sanctuary to expand the structure. Another two-story addition on the southeast portion of the structure was completed in 1962.
The red brick Romanesque Revival-style church has round-arch stained-glass windows with brownstone trim and a slate roof. There are two asymmetrical towers. The church’s interior contains oak pews and wainscoting with a coffered, pressed-tin celing above.
This congregation houses several community and cultural activities in its Educational Wing, including classes, Girl Scout meetings, a thrift shop, counseling services, youth outreach and grocery distribution. The Central New York Arts Center is open five days a week for classes and other art.
Applications for the next round of Sacred Sites grants must be postmarked by June 1.
For more information, please visit www.nylandmarks.org
The conservancy will always be grateful to the late Robert W. Wilson for his generous support of our Sacred Sites program. His gifts have helped some 120 religious institutions across the state with major restoration projects.
The New York Landmarks Conservancy has led the effort to preserve and protect New York City’s architectural legacy for 40 years.
Since its founding, the conservancy has loaned and granted more than $40 million, which has leveraged more than $1 billion in 1,550 restoration projects throughout New York, revitalizing communities, providing economic stimulus and supporting local jobs.
The conservancy has also offered countless hours of pro bono technical advice to building owners, both nonprofit organizations and individuals. The conservancy’s work has saved more than a thousand buildings across the city and state, protecting New York’s distinctive cultural heritage for residents and visitors alike today, and for future generations.