Go to ...
RSS Feed

September 20, 2018

Structure Fire on East Eighth Street Displaces Family


Firefighters battled a blaze on East Eighth Street on Saturday.

Firefighters battled a blaze on East Eighth Street on Saturday.

OSWEGO, NY – At 11:35 this morning (Aug. 13), Oswego Fire Department personnel were dispatched to a reported structure fire at 192 E. Eighth St., near Oak Hill Park.

First arriving crews from the east side station were on the scene at 11:37 a.m., and command reported flames and smoke showing.

Neighbors were able to inform 911 that the fire involved the electrical service and firefighters were updated to that danger while enroute.

Crews worked safely around the electrical service, confirmed that it was secured, and began knocking down the flames with hoselines.

Personnel quickly searched the structure, checked for interior fire extension, and worked to ventilate the smoke.

Personnel had to remove a portion of the exterior wall to extinguish hidden pockets of fire, ensuring there was no extension to the interior of the large, two-family home.

Although no injuries were reported, one family is displaced due to the electrical failure and damage to the structure.

The displaced family is being assisted by the American Red Cross.

Power was reported out in the area after the fire, and National Grid is working to restore the service.

Special thanks to the Oswego Police Department for assisting at the scene with traffic control.

All units were back in service by 12:30 p.m

2 Responses “Structure Fire on East Eighth Street Displaces Family”

  1. Debora Cherchio
    August 13, 2016 at 9:58 pm

    Great job OFD !!

  2. Robert
    August 14, 2016 at 5:41 am

    Wow, two-minute response time…all good things must come to an end.

More Stories From Oswego Daily News

%d bloggers like this: