‘Suicidal Male’ Taken into custody

UPDATE 7:20 p.m.

The Oswego City Police conducted a search of the 258 W. Third St. residence and there was no firearm located.

The male was taken into custody under the NYS Mental Hygiene Law and no criminal charges have been filed


Oswego City Police, with assistance from several other agencies, defused a potentially life-threatening situation this afternoon on the city’s southwest side.

At about 3:08 p.m. today (Sept. 30), the Oswego City Police were dispatched by 911 to a report of a suicidal male with a gun at 258 W. Third St.

An individual is placed in the back of a police car shortly before 4:45 p.m. Monday.
An individual is placed in the back of a police car shortly before 4:45 p.m. Monday.

It was confirmed the male was alone in the residence and was not a threat to anyone outside the area

Kingsford Park Elementary School was notified of the situation and as a precaution the school was locked out.

At no time were students in danger, police stressed.

The subject was contacted via phone by Oswego City Police and Oswego County Sheriff Crisis negotiators.

At approximately 4:23 p.m. the subject voluntarily exited the residence and was taken into custody without incident.

At this time a weapon has not been recovered but the investigation is continuing.

The school district alerted the students’ situation.

They sent out the following message:

This is a message for all Kingsford Park Elementary school  parents and guardians. Due to a situation in the area of Kingsford Park, but not at the school a lock out has been instituted. This means that no one can enter or exit the school building. We will be notified by the Oswego City Police Department when we can end this lock out. Once again this is not an emergency at the school, but in the KPS area.

The lock out ended shortly after 4:30 p.m., according to a district spokesperson.

“The students never were in danger. We received a report of an individual threatening to harm himself. And, with the proximity to the school, we had to do due diligence,” an officer at the scene said. “It was a positive outcome and no one was injured.”