OSWEGO — SUNY Oswego reinstituted a Homecoming celebration in 2015, and decided it was so successful that the 2016 celebration has been expanded to two days.
Homecoming 2016 will take place Nov. 4 and 5 at various locations around campus and the city of Oswego. In 2015, hundreds of students, alumni and friends of the Oswego college community participated in Homecoming events.
“Last year, the college community resurrected a tradition that had been absent for about 40 years,” said Director of Alumni and Parent Relations Laura Pavlus Kelly, a 2009 SUNY Oswego graduate. “This year, we’ve expanded to both Friday and Saturday, with several new activities for all alumni, students, faculty, staff and friends.”
From athletics events to food — including a tailgate party and even a friendly cornhole tournament between alumni and students — attendees can fill their time on campus with a variety of activities. Many are free or low-cost. For a full listing of Homecoming events, visit alumni.oswego.edu/homecoming.
“Homecoming 2015 was an amazing experience,” said Sara Cooper, a 2014 graduate and Graduates of the Last Decade (GOLD) Leadership Council member. “I got to reconnect with old friends, make new friends and catch up with some of my favorite professors from my time at SUNY Oswego. It was so nice to be back on campus and feel right at home. I am very excited for this year’s Homecoming because I know it will be a blast.”
The 2016 celebration is set to include a variety of events:
Friday, Nov. 4
* All day: Hart Global Awareness Conference — Hart Hall Global Living and Learning Center hosts its annual Global Awareness Conference activities.
* 4:30 to 6:30 p.m.: “Oz-We-Go Back” Kick Off Party — Hewitt ballroom. Cost: $10 per person; alumni, students, faculty, staff and friends can enjoy carnival-style food, music by 2012 alumnus DJ Tumbo, activities and a cash bar.
* 5:30 p.m.: Green and Gold Day Campus Photo — Hewitt ballroom. No RSVP required; attendees are asked to sport their favorite Laker gear for the annual Oswego pride photo … or to post their own photo in green and gold attire to social media using #OswegoPride.
* 5:30 p.m.: Men’s basketball exhibition vs. York University — Laker Hall. Admission is free.
* 6 to 7 p.m.: Homecoming Kick Off Bonfire — North Lawn, Marano Campus Center. No RSVP required; light refreshments will be served.
* 7 p.m.: Women’s hockey vs. Chatham University — Marano Campus Center arena. Admission is free.
Saturday, Nov. 5
* 8 a.m.: Fun Run/Walk — Check in at Marano Campus Center activity court. Cost: $5 per person for this 2-mile course around SUNY Oswego. Registration begins at 7 a.m. with light refreshments.
• 10 a.m.: Women’s Hockey Alumnae Game — Marano Campus Center arena
• 10 a.m. to noon: GOLD 0-5-10 Year Reunion Brunch — Red Sun Fire Roasting Co. Cost: $15 per person; GOLD (Graduates of the Last Decade) alumni from the classes of 2007 – 2016 are invited to reconnect over brunch. Buffet meal included; cash bar.
• Noon: The Athletic Hall of Fame Induction Luncheon — Sheldon Hall ballroom. The following exceptional athletes will be welcomed into the Athletic Hall of Fame: Michael Charles, Class of 1983 (Baseball); Jeffrey Greene, Class of 1988 (Ice Hockey); Cathleen Palmitesso, Class of 1994 (Volleyball); Edward L. Pucci, Class of 1975 (Wrestling); Peter H. Schieffer, Class of 1962 (Basketball and Track & Field, posthumous). Palmitesso is unable to attend and received her award during an October volleyball match. Tickets required. Read more about the Athletic Hall of Fame inductees at alumni.oswego.edu/halloffame.
• 1 p.m.: Swimming and diving vs. Clarkson University — Laker Hall. Free admission.
• 1 to 3 p.m.: HallComing and Residence Life Socials — Various residence halls. Advance registration required; alumni can visit their halls and meet current students.
• 2 to 4 p.m.: Alumni-Student Cornhole Competition — Marano Campus Center upper arena concourse. No RSVP required; alumni and students go head-to-head in friendly competition, while cheering on the Laker women’s ice hockey team against Chatham.
• 2 to 4 p.m.: Veterans Day Card Signing — Marano Campus Center upper arena concourse. No RSVP required; guests are invited to sign a card of thanks for a SUNY Oswego veteran, to be sent the following week in honor of Veterans’ Day.
• 3 p.m.: Women’s hockey vs. Chatham University — Marano Campus Center arena. Free admission.
• 3 p.m.: Music Department Showcase — Tyler Hall Room 50. No RSVP required; music department students share selections they have been working on.
• 4:30 p.m.: BaconFest — Pathfinder Dining Center. No RSVP required; guests can pay at the door (cash only) and celebrate this annual event with current students.
• 5:30 to 7 p.m.: Homecoming Tailgate — Marano Campus Center activity court
Cost: $15 per adult; $5 for kids ages 3 to 11; free for kids 2 and under; Alumni, students, faculty, staff and friends gather for this pre-game event that includes tailgate-style food stations and cash bar.
• 7 p.m.: Men’s hockey vs. SUNY Geneseo – Marano Campus Center arena. Guests can purchase tickets for the game separately through the SUNY Oswego Box Office (tickets.oswego.edu or 315-312-2141) and can inquire about seating in the reserved “Alumni Section” for the game — for which reservations are required by Friday, Oct. 28.
• Guests can also enjoy campus and building open houses, fitness center hours and more.
For more details and ticket information, visit at alumni.oswego.edu/homecoming.
For more information, contact the Office of Alumni Relations at 315-312-2258.