The ongoing saga that is the demolition of the former Nestle factory in Fulton is nearing completion. Fulton Mayor Ronald Woodward Sr. said Rowlee Construction will continue work on the site with a legislative grant from Senator Patty Ritchie funneled through the DEC. […]
Stephen Proietta from Aldi’s contractor, National Contracting addressed questions from the public after a regular meeting of the Fulton Common Council on Tuesday, October 17. Aldi, the international supermarket chain, is constructing a new store location on the corner of Fay and South Fourth Streets in Fulton on a parcel of the former Nestle factory site. The City of Fulton acquired the 24-acre lot at 555 South Fourth Street by tax foreclosure in November of 2015 after the buildings sat mostly empty since Nestle closed in 2003. Today, nearly two years after acquisition, the site is anticipating complete demolition of the former factory by the end of the year with an Aldi store on a 2.2-acre lot slated to open in mid-December. The demolition of the dilapidated factory was plagued with several interruptions and contract amendments between the city and Aldi pushed back construction of the store, but as framework of the store goes up on site, residents are realizing the final steps of the store’s journey to Fulton are happening. County Legislator Frank Castiglia Jr. arranged for both Stephen Proietta of National Contracting and Ted Rowlee of Rowlee Construction to speak to the public in regards to the ongoing work at the site including the construction of the Aldi store and the demolition of the former factory buildings after several constituents in his district posed questions.
The Fulton Common Council has unanimously approved a demolition resolution that may be the final stage in the ongoing demolition at the former Nestle site. Rowlee Construction Inc. of Fulton was awarded the demolition project to tear down the remaining structures on the 24-acre site including buildings #2,4A,58,60,63,70 after submitting the lowest bid. Demolition on site has been ongoing since shortly after the city received the 24-acre site located at 555 S. Fourth St. on tax foreclosure in November 2015.
The Fulton Common Council declared the former Nestles site located at 555 S. Fourth St. “an imminent danger” at a regular meeting held Wednesday. After a long demolition process plagued with several interruptions, few buildings remain standing on the 24-acre site with piles of debris left scattered about. Mayor Ronald Woodward Sr. said structurally compromised buildings and remaining asbestos are main contributors to the decision to declare the site a danger. With the approval of this resolution, the current contractor on site, Rowlee Construction, will be authorized to remain on site and continue working under the current contract.
The Fulton Common Council approved the expenditure of an additional $100,000 to allow Fulton based contractor, Rowlee Construction to continue removing debris from the former Nestle site. Last month, the council accepted a bid from Rowlee to remove debris from the 2.2 acre corner parcel of the site that is designated to incoming supermarket chain, Aldi. Rowlee is on pace to exceed the $100,000 limit as of the current work that has been completed, requiring the council to consider an additional approval for continued work, Fulton Mayor Ronald Woodward Sr. said.
City officials accepted a bid from Rowlee Construction, Inc. yesterday (May 18) at a special meeting of the Common Council relative to the remaining asbestos and demolition removal at the former Nestles site. Specifically, the Fulton based construction company will remove the debris left on the 2.2 acre parcel of the former Nestles site that is designated for supermarket chain, Aldi.