The Laker women’s tennis team suffered a heartbreaking 5-4 loss to Plattsburgh on Sunday afternoon at Drumlins. Oswego State held a 2-1 lead upon completion of doubles play, but came up short of securing the necessary singles points for the victory.
Coach Erin SkaradekÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s squad picked up wins at No. 1 and No. 3 doubles as Tiarra Garrow and Christine Burkhart defeated Rachel Hodnett and Katie Rogers 8-2 at the top spot, while Jenna Wehn and Katie Holliday defeated Amy Rich and Jennifer Paull 8-1 at the No. 3 spot. Garrow continued to play well as she recorded a straight set 6-3, 6-3 win over Hodnett at No. 1 singles. Vicky Kulczak stepped up to claim the fourth Laker point of the match when she defeated Kristen Casse 6-1, 7-6 (4) at No. 4 singles. However, Plattsburgh won the remaining singles matches to earn the win.
Oswego State, which is 0-6 overall, returns to action against Roberts Wesleyan on Wednesday, Sep. 22 with its first home dual match of the season at 4 p.m.
1. Tiarra Garrow (OSW) def. Rachel Hodnett (P) 6-3, 6-3
2. Katie Rogers (P) def. Jenna Wehn (OSW) 6-1, 7-6 (5)
3. Victoria Germano (P) def. Christine Burkhart (OSW) 7-5, 6-0
4. Vicky Kulczak (OSW) def. Kristen Casse (P) 6-1, 7-6 (4)
5. Jessica Paquette (P) def. Michele Hierholzer (OSW) 6-0, 6-2
6. Brie Ernst (P) def. Aislinn Leary (OSW) 6-2, 6-1
1. Garrow/Burkhart (OSW) def. Hodnett/Rogers (P) 8-2
2. Ernst/Paquette (P) def. Kulczak/Hierholzer (OSW) 8-2
3. Katie Holliday/Jenna Wehn (OSW) def. Amy Rich/Jennifer Paull (P) 8-1