SYRACUSE, NY – Even though Christmas is over and the red kettles put away, there is still time to make a year-end donation to The Salvation Army.
“Your donation helps the Army help those in your community throughout next year,” said Major Donald Hostetler, divisional commander of the Empire State Division of The Salvation Army, covering all of upstate New York. “We rely on the funds raised in December to carry each Salvation Army center through the year in order to help those who need us. The money raised in your area stays local, so you are really making change happen for your neighbors. We do the most good by using our resources to create positive, long-lasting changes in the lives of people when it is needed the most.”
“Every Christmas season, I’m humbled by the fact that residents are so eager to give people the chance to rebuild their lives. We are blessed by the many generous business partners that allow us to have kettles at their place of business,” he added.
Donors can still make a contribution to the Army through several different ways, he pointed out.
• mail a check to their local Salvation Army Worship and Service Center;
• make a donation over the telephone by calling 1-800-SALARMY or safely donating online at donate.salvationarmyusa.org
• if you have been invited to donate to a friends’ or family members’ Online Red Kettle, there is still time as each online red kettle will be able to accept donations through January 31, 2015;
• donors can text the word “KETTLE” to 80888 to make a $10 donation to support the campaign.
* The donation will appear as a charge on the donor’s next mobile phone bill.
Major Hostetler added that a good New Year’s Resolution might be to volunteer for The Salvation Army.
“At our website, www.SalvationArmyEmpireState.org those wishing to volunteer can register and they will be contacted by the officer in their community,” he said.
About the Empire Division
The Empire State Division of The Salvation Army covers 48 counties in upstate New York and one city in Pennsylvania (Sayre, Pa.).
Our annual Red Kettle Campaign in November and December helps our 40 community and worship centers, service areas in Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse and 167 volunteer driven service units raise funds that remain in each community to help those in need.
To donate: donate.salvationarmyusa.org or 1-800-SAL-ARMY.