Attention Veterans: NYS DMV May Owe You Money

Oswego County Clerk Michael C. Backus is reminding veterans who paid for veteran status designation on their driver’s license or non-driver identification cards that they are entitled to a refund.

“In 2013, a law was enacted to allow honorably discharged service men and women the option of having their veteran status on drivers’ licenses and non-driver identification cards,” said Backus. “Unfortunately, at that time the state Department of Motor Vehicles interpreted this law as requiring a payment of $12.50 to amend a veteran’s license. The NYS Association of County Clerks successfully fought for legislation in Albany to reimburse veterans who asked for identification on their ID or driver’s license denoting their service to our country.”

Each eligible customer will receive a letter and refund check from New York State.

“I am thankful that Senator Marchione’s legislation, which was supported by Senator Patty Ritchie and Assemblymen Will Barclay and Bob Oakes, has been signed into law by Governor Cuomo,” said Backus, who serves as co-chair of the NYS Clerks Association Legislative Committee. “If you are a veteran and have paid for the veteran status designation to be placed on your license or ID, you are entitled to a refund.”

For more information on obtaining veteran designations on a driver’s license or ID, contact an Oswego County local DMV office.

Offices are located at:
•    200 N. Second St., Fulton, phone (315) 591-9136;
•    384 E. River Road, Oswego, phone (315) 349-8300; and
•    2 Broad St., Pulaski, phone (315) 298-6521.