OSWEGO, NY – The Oswego Fire Department responded to a structure fire on Wednesday evening (Sept. 23).
The fire at 78 E. Fifth St. was reported at 5:46 p.m. with units arriving 3 minutes later finding smoke coming from the upper rear portion of the structure.
Crews extinguished fire in the kitchen area of the single-family home.
There was heavy smoke and fire damage to the kitchen and smoke damage throughout the house.
No one was home at the time of the fire.
A dog inside the home at the time of the fire was brought to a veterinarian.
“As of now, we do not have a cause of the fire. Our cause and origin team along with the Oswego Police Department are investigating,” said First Assistant Chief Jeff McCrobie. “The cause will be announced when their investigation is complete.”
The fire was blamed on food left cooking on the stove.