OSWEGO – Oswego County Legislature Chairman Kevin Gardner (District 13, New Haven) announced appointments to the County Legislature’s standing committees for 2017.
The seven committees oversee departments of county government and make budgetary and policy recommendations to the full Legislature.
The new standing committees are:
• Government, Courts and Consumer Affairs: David Holst (District 4, Williamstown), chairman; Richard Kline (District 12, Pennellville), vice chairman; Thomas Drumm (District 16, Oswego); Daniel Farfaglia (District 24, Fulton); Linda Lockwood (District 11, Volney); Roy Reehil (District 5, Constantia); and Terry Wilbur (District 21, Hannibal). The committee oversees the Board of Elections, Clerk of the Legislature, County Attorney’s Office, County Clerk’s Office, County Legislature, Office of the Chairman, Real Property Tax Service, and Weights and Measures Office. The group meets at 10 a.m. on Mondays, two weeks before the full Legislature meeting.
• Economic Development and Planning: Roy Reehil, chairman; Morris Sorbello (District 23, Granby), vice chairman; Shawn Doyle (District 3, Pulaski); Thomas Drumm; Daniel LeClair (District 8, Palermo); Jacob Mulcahey (District 15, Oswego); and Tim Stahl (District 20, Town of Oswego). The committee oversees the Department of Community Development, Tourism and Planning as well as several authorized agencies. It meets at 2 p.m. on Mondays, two weeks before the Legislature’s full meeting.
• Public Safety: James Weatherup (District 9, Central Square), chairman; Margaret Kastler (District 1, Sandy Creek), vice chairwoman; Frank Castiglia, Jr. (District 25, Fulton); David Holst; James Karasek (District 22, Granby); Richard Kline; and Milferd Potter (District 2, Orwell). The committee oversees the District Attorney’s Office, E-911 Program, Emergency Management Office, Fire Coordinator’s Office, Probation Department and Sheriff’s Office. Meetings are held at 10 a.m. on Tuesdays, two weeks before the full Legislature meeting.
• Infrastructure, Facilities and Technology: Stephen Walpole (District 14, Oswego), chairman; John Martino (District 6, Central Square), vice chairman; Shawn Doyle; Robert Hayes (District 10, Phoenix); Linda Lockwood; Milferd Potter; and Marie Schadt (District 19, Town of Oswego). The committee is responsible for policies and legislation regarding the County Airport, Buildings and Grounds Department, Central Services, Energy Recovery Facility, and Highway and Solid Waste departments. The group meets at 2 p.m. on Tuesdays, two weeks before the Legislature meeting.
• Health: John Proud (District 7, Mexico), chairman; James Karasek, vice chairman; Frank Castiglia Jr.; Heather DelConte (District 18, Oswego); Margaret Kastler; Morris Sorbello; and Terry Wilbur. The committee oversees the county Health Department and meets at 10 a.m. on Wednesdays, two weeks before the full Legislature meeting.
• Human Services: Daniel LeClair, chairman; Tim Stahl, vice chairman; Shane Broadwell (District 17, Oswego); Heather DelConte; Thomas Drumm; John Proud and Marie Schadt. The committee oversees the Office for the Aging, Department of Social Services, Veterans’ Services, and the Oswego City-County Youth Bureau. It meets at 2 p.m. on Wednesdays, two weeks prior to the Legislature meeting.
• Finance and Personnel: Shane Broadwell, chairman; James Weatherup, vice chairman; Robert Hayes; David Holst; John Martino; Jacob Mulcahey; and Stephen Walpole. The committee oversees the county Audit and Administrator’s offices, Human Resources Department, County Treasurer’s Office, and Purchasing Department. It meets at 2 p.m. on Tuesdays one week before the full Legislature meeting.
The County Legislature is scheduled to meet at 2 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 9; 2 p.m. Thursday, March 9; 7 p.m. Thursday, April 13; 2 p.m. Thursday, May 11; 7 p.m. Thursday, June 15; 2 p.m. Thursday, July 13; 2 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 10 (H. Douglas Barclay Courthouse, Pulaski); 7 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 14; 2 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 12; 2 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 9; and at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 14.
Legislature and committee meetings are all open to the public and held in the County Office Building at 46 E. Bridge St., Oswego unless otherwise indicated.
Meeting agendas are posted on the county government Web site at http://www.oswegocounty.com/legislature/meetings/agenda.html
For more information, contact the Office of the Chairman of the County Legislature at 349-8230 or 1-800-596-3200, ext. 8230.