The Oswego State women’s tennis team picked up its first win of the season after defeating Wells College, 6-3, on Tuesday afternoon. Emma Baker and Rachel Rigney gave the Lakers a 2-1 lead heading into singles play by overcoming a 5-2 deficit at No. 1 doubles for an 8-6 win over Caitlyn Copfer and Brittany Vanno. Hannah Rawlings staged a comeback of her own at No. 2 singles by winning a second-set tiebreaker and prevailing in the decisive third set supertiebreaker.
Oswego State moved 1-5 on the season with the win, and will compete in a triangular match against Oneonta and Alfred State on Saturday.
1. Kate Ellis (WELLS) def. Nicole Leader (OSW) 6-4, 6-4
3. Emma Baker (OSW) def. Brittany Vanno (WELLS) 6-2, 6-4
4. Taika Taguchi (WELLS) def. Rachel Rigney (OSW) 7-6 (5), 6-1
5. Lauren Stall (OSW) def. Kelly Pietruch (WELLS) 6-3, 6-2
6. Christine Ripple (OSW) def. Emma Martin (WELLS) 6-2, 6-0
1. Baker/Rigney (OSW) def. Copfer/Vanno (WELLS) 8-6
2. Ellis/Taguchi (WELLS) def. Kelly Corwin/Ripple (OSW) 8-1
3. Stall/Rawlings (OSW) def. Pietruch/Martin (WELLS) 8-1