Porky and Buddy Pet Health – Assisting Injured Wildlife

Porky and Buddy

Dear Readers,
Last week we answered a question about coyotes and then this week we received an email from a kind-hearted man who had rescued a wounded cedar wax wing and wondered whether the Oswego County Humane Society could take it in.

That got us thinking about wild animals in general.

OCHS is not licensed as a wildlife rehabilitation agency to take in wildlife, but we do care about them and we know many of you do as well.

So, we wanted to give you this information about what to do if you find an apparently injured wild animal.

We consulted the website of the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation and its advice is to call its office during business hours.

Office numbers for different regions are listed but we are in Region 7 and the number is (607) 753-3095 ext. 247.

Or you can to call a wildlife rehabilitator for advice and possible rescue of the animal.

Wildlife rehabilitators receive specialized training for particular animals and their goal is always to save the animal if possible so that it can be released back into the wild.

They know how to do that.

In all likelihood you don’t, and you need to be very careful since some wildlife can carry very dangerous diseases, the most obvious one being rabies.

So our best advice if you are in this situation is to get better advice by calling an expert.

You can find a searchable list of wildlife rehabilitators at the DEC website at www.dec.ny.gov/animals

The Oswego County Humane Society provides spay/neuter services and assistance, fostering and adoption of animals in urgent need, humane education programs, and information and referrals to animal lovers throughout Oswego County.

Located at 29 W. Seneca St., Oswego, NY.

Phone: (315) 2,07-1070.

Email: [email protected]

Website: www.oswegohumane.org

Because People and Pets Are Good for Each Other.