Teens Enter Not Guilty Pleas, Bail Set at $100,000

OSWEGO, NY – The teenagers accused of killing a town of Granby man entered not guilty pleas in Oswego County Court Monday during their first appearance before Judge Donald Todd.

Attorneys Timothy Kirwan, Anthony DiMartino and Joseph Rodak took their turns at the podium to enter not guilty pleas for their clients Glenwood Carr Jr., Michael Celi and Zachary Scott respectively who stand accused of 25 felony counts of burglary, robbery and A-1 murder.

Assistant District Attorney Matthew Bell represented the people during Monday’s arraignment.

With Kirwan by his side, 16-year-old Carr Jr., dressed in a tan jail uniform with handcuffs and shackles, and with his hair disheveled, stood at the podium at 8:30 a.m.

Todd first requested Kirwan and Bell consider the media request by a newspaper and a TV channel to record the proceedings with photographs, video and audio.

With no objection from the attorney or ADA, the judge allowed both agencies to photograph and record the teenager as he entered his not guilty plea.

Carr Jr. faces two A-1 felony counts of second degree murder, three felony counts of burglary and three felony counts of robbery that were handed down by the Grand Jury last week.

With a request to set bail, Bell said, “The defendant has no criminal record and no warrant history. The people have no objection.”

Todd set Carr Jr.’s bail at $100,000 or $200,000 bail bond.

Wearing a red Oswego County Correctional Facility uniform Celi, 17, was next to stand before the court.

He faces the same charges as Carr Jr. plus an additional charge of A-1 felony second degree murder for allegedly causing the death of Anthony Miller.

Also handcuffed and shackled at the waist, Celi stood at the podium alongside DiMartino.

When asked if the defendant had any objections to the applications of press and TV media to photograph, video and audio record his client, DiMartino said, “Yes.”

“My client is 17 years old,” DiMartino said, “I would object to the court granting the applications.”

With that, Todd denied the request for video and photographs of Celi in the courtroom, but allowed audio recording.

New York state is one of only two states in the country that treats minors – those aged 16 – 18 years old – as adults in cases of violent crime.

Noting that there was no bail set by the town of Granby Court, DiMartino said Celi’s mother had been in constant contact with the attorney’s office and requested that Todd set bail for the teen.

“Michael has all his ties to the surrounding area,” DiMartino said.

Bell added that Celi has no criminal record, “obviously the charges are serious,” he said, “but the people would not object to $100,000 or $200,000 bond.”

Todd granted the bail request.

Rodak represented Scott, 19, who was also handcuffed and shackled, and wearing navy blue jail clothes.

He also entered a not guilty plea and was granted a bail request set at $100,000 or $200,000 bond.

Scott is accused of the same charges as Carr Jr.

The three teens were arrested by New York State Troopers from the Fulton barracks on March 3 after a month-long investigation into Miller’s death.

They have been incarcerated at OCCF since they were arrested.

In the sworn depositions of New York State Police, investigators alleged at the time of the interviews and subsequent arrests the three confessed and in part corroborated each others’ accounts of planning to burglarize, but ultimately robbing and stabbing Miller at his home in the early morning hours of Feb. 3.

Troopers alleged that Celi, Carr Jr. and Scott went to Miller’s trailer the night of Super Bowl Sunday to steal “an ounce of marijuana” because Miller allegedly owed Carr Jr.’s father and uncle money.

It is alleged that during the course of that crime, Celi stabbed the victim and then the three fled the residence.

State police reported friends discovered Miller dead in his home at 4 p.m. on Feb. 3.

Troopers noted in their investigation that the victim suffered stab wounds and blunt force trauma which resulted in his death.

Although bail was set, Carr Jr., Celi and Scott remained in jail at the end of the day.

Their next court date is scheduled for June 9.