OSWEGO, NY – As the person responsible for the crime of killing Anthony Miller during the robbery in February, Michael Celi, 17, pleaded guilty Nov. 17 to murder in the second degree, a class A-1 felony and in Oswego County Court Monday morning Judge Donald Todd sentenced him to 20 years to life in state prison, indeterminate, with $400 in fines.
As the mastermind of the plot to rob the Granby man, Glenwood Carr Jr., 17, pleaded guilty on Aug. 10 to murder in the second degree, a class A-1 felony, and on Monday was sentenced to 17 1/2 years minimum and maximum life in state prison, indeterminate, with $375 in court fees.
For his part in the robbery, Zachary Scott, 20, pleaded guilty Aug. 1 to 1st degree burglary, a class B violent felony, and was sentenced to 18 ½ years determinant, with 5 years’ probation and a $400 court and DNA fee.
Each defendant relinquished their right to appeal when they accepted their respective plea agreements.
Check back tomorrow for complete details on Monday’s sentencing, including Miller’s sister’s victims impact statement, and the convicted men’s respective apologies. – Ed.
OSWEGO, NY – The three teenagers responsible for robbing and killing a Granby man at his home in February will appear in Oswego County Court Monday (Dec. 15) morning for sentencing.
Michael Celi, 17, Glenwood Carr Jr., 17, and Zachary Scott, who turned 20 last month, will each appear before Judge Donald Todd to hear what punishment they will receive for their part in the robbery and death of Anthony Miller, 46, at his home on state Route 48 in the Indian Hills mobile home park on Feb. 3.
One month after neighbors discovered the victim dead inside his home, New York State Police simultaneously arrested Celi, Carr Jr. and Scott and charged them with robbing and murdering the man.
After hearings and proceedings ongoing throughout the spring and summer months, each young man pleaded guilty for their involvement in Miller’s death.
In April, a Grand Jury handed down indictments against each teen with a total of 25 charges ranging from felony murder to robbery and burglary.
In the sworn depositions of investigators at the time of arrest the three confessed and in part corroborated each others’ accounts of planning to burglarize, but ultimately robbing and stabbing Miller.
In the three statements, Celi, Carr Jr. and Scott each said they went to Miller’s trailer the night of Super Bowl Sunday to steal “an ounce of marijuana” because Miller allegedly owed Carr Jr.’s father and uncle money.
In the depositions, investigators reported that Celi struck Miller in the head with a hammer and during a struggle inside the home Miller ran into the 10-inch kitchen knife that Celi brought with him.
By all accounts, the young men then burglarized the home and left the victim unconscious on the floor. The next afternoon police reported that friends and neighbors found Miller dead inside his home.
In November, under the condition of a plea arrangement where Todd promised no more than 21 years to life in prison, Celi, represented by attorney Anthony DiMartino, pleaded guilty to one count of second-degree murder, commonly referred to as felony murder.
In statements to investigators Scott, armed with a metal pipe, and Carr Jr., armed with a butter knife, said they went into Miller’s home after Celi was already inside.
Once in, Carr Jr. said he saw Celi standing over Miller in the hallway.
Carr Jr. and Scott both admitted they then stole marijuana, a carton of cigarettes and “smoking bongs,” and fled the scene.
Carr Jr. told investigators he learned the next day that Miller, a man whom he knew, was dead.
The young man told police he then questioned Celi about what happened.
“(Celi) thought (Miller) might die because he was bleeding all over,” Carr Jr. told police. “Celi told me he hit Anthony with a hammer … during the struggle for the knife he stabbed (Anthony).”
At the end of July, Scott was the first to appear for hearings on the matter of admissible evidence, where the young man rejected a plea offered made by District Attorney Gregory Oakes and requested to have his court appointed lawyer, Joseph Rodak, removed from his case.
Todd questioned Scott and learned the teen was also being advised by an unnamed ‘jailhouse lawyer’.
A week later, with Rodak by his side, Scott accepted a deal and pleaded guilty to one count of first degree burglary, a class B violent felony.
While the original offer promised less time, the deal Scott finally accepted was the promise of a sentence of 19 1/2 years in prison, with 5 years parole in full satisfaction of the charges against him.
In addition to the prison sentence, Oakes said at that time, “As a condition of the plea, he must testify truthfully and completely against his two codefendants, should those matters go to trial.”
In his statement at time of arrest, Scott told police that he was best friends with Celi.
Todd ordered a pre-sentencing investigation to be reviewed prior to Scott’s sentencing hearing.
On Aug. 10, Carr Jr., represented by Timothy Kirwan, pleaded guilty to one count of murder in the second degree, a class A-1 felony, in satisfaction of the eight charges against him. As a condition of his sentence promise, the teenager also agreed to testify completely and truthfully if the case against Celi went to trial.
Todd also ordered a pre-sentencing investigation for Carr Jr. at that time.
At the conclusion of those proceedings, Assistant District Attorney Matthew Bell said The People were pleased that Carr Jr. had taken responsibility for this crime.
“We’ll have to wait and see, review the pre-sentencing investigation ourselves to decide, if we want to take a position more toward a minimum sentence of 17 1/2 or 15 years, but that decision is ultimately up to the judge,” Bell said.
The three young men have been incarcerated in the Oswego County Correctional Facility since the day of their arrests on March 3.