;

West Side Oswego Home Damaged By Fire

OSWEGO, NY – At 9:58 p.m. Monday, Oswego Fire Department crews were dispatched to a reported structure fire at 144 W. Seneca St., in the city.

Firefighters arrived minutes later and found smoke billowing from the basement and an active fire near the main electrical service of the two-family home.

Firefighters entered the smoke-filled basement and found the main electrical panel arcing and on fire.

Other personnel searched the first and second floors for victims and determined that the house was unoccupied.

Due to safety concerns with the live electrical service on fire, fire officials pulled crews out of the house and waited for National Grid to secure the power.

Fire crews had to wait an extended period of time for the power to be cut at the utility pole by National Grid crews.

Once the power was secured, OFD crews made quick work of the fire with multiple hoselines.

Crews had to open several void spaces with axes and chainsaws to find hidden fire in walls.

Firefighters remained on the scene until around 2 a.m. Tuesday, ensuring the blaze was completely out.

The home sustained heavy fire damage in the basement and first floor.

No injuries were reported.