OSWEGO, NY – At this week’s meeting, the Common Council OK’d expenditure of funds from the Softball Accounting Reserve Fund. The DPW commissioner was authorized to spend up to $20,000 to operate Legends Softball Complex for the 2014 season.
They also approved transfer of funds from within the Department of Public Works. A total of $8,000 was moved to cover the anticipated cost of seasonal employees at the softball complex. The funds will be reimbursed from the Softball Accounting Reserve Fund.
A new fee schedule for rental of the Legends Softball Complex (Oswego Pride Youth Softball Program) was enacted.
The fee for league games will be $30 per day per field. For tournaments, it will be $60 per day per field.
Funds will be deposited in the Softball Accounting Reserve Fund.
The council rescinded Resolution No. 99, Dated March 24, 2014. Then, they approved a new fee schedule for the 2014 City of Oswego Softball Season at the Legends Softball Complex.
The fees for the 2014 season are the same as adopted last month:
Men’s Fast Pitch – team fee $215, sponsor’s fee $175, forfeit fee $75, player card fee $120 per team
Men’s Modified Fast Pitch – team fee $215, sponsor’s fee $175, forfeit fee $75, player card fee $120 per team
Men’s Slow Pitch – team fee $200, sponsor’s fee $175, forfeit fee $60, player card fee $120 per team
Women’s Slow Pitch – team fee $200, sponsor’s fee $175, forfeit fee $60, player card fee $120 per team
Add on player fees for all leagues will be $20 per player.
The new resolution included – all funds generated from operating the complex and from the city softball leagues shall be deposited in the Softball Accounting Reserve Fund with the exception of the refundable forfeit fee, which will be deposited in a trust account.
The councilors approved a five-percent reduction initiative.
Due to the current economic climate, the city is continuing to strive for economic stability. The administration is seeking the cooperation of all department heads and city employees.
The council wants to adopt the initiative encouraging all city departments to reduce their budgets by five percent as of September 2014.
The council also approved use of public space and city properties for:
- Fort Ontario Park for the Safe Haven Museum 70th Reunion of the Emergency Refugee Shelter. It will be held June 19 – 22, in conjunction with the Jewish Motorcycle Alliance.
- The Veterans’ Council of Oswego for its annual Memorial Day Ceremony to be held on May 26. The city will also provide the bandstand, a podium and up to 40 chairs for the service at Veterans’ Memorial Park.
- Washington Square Park (East Park) by the Oswego County Federal Credit Union to host a series of “Movies in the Park” evenings to be held on June 18, July 16 and August 21. The films will be family appropriate movies.
- The Oswego Bookmobile 2014 summer program. The program will utilize city parks and the Gallagher Pool parking area for the program.
- And, Breitbeck Park for a wedding ceremony to be held on June 29.
A donation of a forfeited vehicle for use by the Police Department was accepted.
The mayor was authorized to:
- Execute all documents necessary for the Intermediary Relending Program.
- Enter into a one-year renewal lease agreement with the Ontario Center for Performing Arts for its use of the McCrobie Building for 2015. Saturday evenings from Jan. 10, 2015, through Dec. 5, 2015; for an open mic series on Friday evenings from Jan. 9 to Dec. 4. The rental fee shall be a flat rate of $150 per show for the Saturday dates.
Councilors also approved the proposal submitted by CZB, LLC to revise the current zoning ordinance. The total cost is not to exceed $68,136.
Four requests to travel were also approved:
- Attendance at the New York State Conference of Mayors and Municipal Officials meeting to be held May 4-6 in Saratoga Springs. Re: Request of Thomas W. Gillen, Mayor.
- Attendance at the Animal Control Conference to be held April 29-30 in Webster. Re: Request of Caroline Anderson, Animal Control Officer.
- Attendance at the Bivona Summit on Child Abuse Training Conference to be held April 22-23 in Rochester. Re: Request of Tory L. DeCaire, Police Chief.
- Attendance at the Aerosol Subject Restraint Instructor course to be held May 15-16 in Rochester. Re: Request of Tory L. DeCaire, Police Chief.