Go to ...
RSS Feed

September 21, 2018

ARISE receives grant from Komen Central New York Affiliate


The Central New York Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure® has awarded a $25,000 grant to ARISE Child and Family Service, Inc. (ARISE) for promoting breast cancer awareness and education to women and men with disabilities.

At ARISE, the grant from Komen for the Cure will support the Breast Health Awareness for Individuals with Disabilities program, an initiative to reach out to more than 1,000 women with disabilities to promote the importance of breast health. The program will involve educational awareness and outreach sessions throughout Onondaga, Oswego, and Madison Counties; and maintains a directory of health providers with accessible mammograms. The program also aims to assess physical and attitudinal barriers to obtaining breast health care.

“We’re thrilled to continue our partnership with Komen in a third year,” said Toni McEniry, ARISE Breast Health Awareness Program Coordinator. “We’ve already seen positive impact from our outreach to women with disabilities and women who live rurally. Spreading the word that there are resources available is the first step in removing barriers to accessing mammograms and breast health care.”

Susan G. Komen for the Cure is the world’s largest breast cancer organization, and the Central New York Affiliate is one of 125 Affiliates on the front lines dedicated to ending breast cancer in their communities. Komen Affiliates fund innovative programs that help women and men overcome the cultural, social, educational and financial barriers to breast cancer screening and treatment.

“At the Komen Central New York Affiliate, we conducted a needs assessment of our community and discovered the need for more breast health education, better access to screening and treatment for the uninsured and underinsured, reducing disparities in care for minority groups,” said Kate Flannery, Executive Director. “We are confident that through ARISE, women who live rurally, particularly women who also have disabilities, will learn the importance of breast health, and find resources to overcome barriers to breast cancer screening.”

Look for ARISE’s Breast Health Awareness and Outreach program at education sessions and community fairs throughout the year. For more information, a list of facilities offering accessible mammograms, or to schedule an education session, please contact Toni McEniry at 671-2991.

About ARISE
ARISE Child and Family Service, Inc. (ARISE) is a non-profit Independent Living Center run by and for people with disabilities. The organization has a 30-year history of providing advocacy and services, and each year ARISE works with approximately 3,000 people of all ages who have all types of disabilities.

ARISE has offices in Onondaga, Oswego, and Madison Counties and operates ARISE at the Farm, a 77-acre recreational facility in Chittenango, NY.

About Susan G. Komen for the Cure® and the Komen Central New York Affiliate
Nancy G. Brinker promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer forever, and in 1982, that promise became Susan G. Komen for the Cure. The Central New York Affiliate is part of the world’s largest and most progressive grassroots network fighting breast cancer. Through events like the Komen CNY Race for the Cure, the Central New York Affiliate has invested more than $4 million in community breast cancer programs in its 17-county service area. Up to 75 percent of net proceeds generated by the Affiliate stays in the local area. The remaining 25 percent funds national breast cancer research. For more information, call 315-472-6162 or visit www.komencny.org.

More Stories From Community

%d bloggers like this: