OSWEGO, NY – Two-thirds of home fire deaths result from fires in homes without a working smoking alarm, according to the National Fire Protection Agency.
The Oswego Fire Department reminds you to not only change your clock for Daylight Savings Time but the batteries in your smoke alarms, too.
“Saving your life can be as simple as changing your smoke alarm batteries once a year and replacing smoke alarms every 7 to 10 years,” said Lt. Brooks Hourigan of the Oswego Fire Department.
Special smoke alarms are even available for those who are deaf or hearing-impaired.
The NFPA reports that working smoke alarms cut the risk of dying in a home fire in half.
Research has also demonstrated that photoelectric smoke alarms are more effective at warning people of smoke from smoldering fires than ionization smoke alarms. With earlier warning, people have more time to escape a burning structure and call to 911.
The Oswego Fire Department recommends installing a dual purpose smoke alarm in every bedroom, outside of every bedroom and on each floor of your home.
“You should also install carbon monoxide alarms in your home and check them once a month,” Fire Chief Jeff McCrobie said.
Carbon monoxide fumes are poisonous and will increase the intensity of a fire if ignited.
More than 2,300 people die each year in home fires.
Having a smoke alarm and carbon monoxide alarm that works 24 hours a day greatly increases your chance of survival if your home catches on fire.
Thanks to donations from local businesses such as Eagle Beverage and Raby’s Ace Home Center, the Oswego Fire Department is able to maintain a smoke detector program for city residents.
If your smoke detectors need servicing or replacement, please call the Oswego Fire Department at (315) 343-2161 to make an appointment.
Fire Department personnel will visit your home and install new smoke detectors free of charge!
In case of an emergency, call 911
Stay Safe Oswego!