A View of History: Fulton, 1903

Our glimpse of local history this week takes us to 1903 for an image from the Library of Congress’s collection.

It’s a map of Fulton from that year.  The Library of Congress believes the map was printed by A. E. Worden. It shows some of the businesses active in the city at the time.

Click the map to see a full-sized version.

Map of Fulton, NY from 1903 with advertisements, from the Library of Congress' collection. Click on the map to see a larger version.
Map of Fulton, NY from 1903 with advertisements, from the Library of Congress' collection. Click on the map to see a larger version.

missing or outdated ad config

Print this entry

2 Comments

1. This map was made by my great grandfather, Allen E. Worden. He was a local artist, and painted theatrical scenery from his studio on Academy Street.

When Fulton was going to start local mail delivery, they needed a detailed map with street numbers. Allen was tapped to make this map. He also was hired to paint street signs at intersections.

At Fulton’s 50th anniversary, in 1953, the original of this map was loaned to the Fulton Post Office by Worden’s daughter May Worden Newton , who was the postmistress at Maple View, NY. Unfortunately, it came up missing and was never returned. Fortunately, this copy of the map , with advertisements, is in the Library of Congress.

If you look closely at this map, many of the proposed streets were never developed.

2. Interesting! I hadn’t looked closely at the street names, but I will. Thanks so much for adding to this story!

Comments are closed.