OSWEGO, N.Y. – Sophomore Haley Miller (Springwater, N.Y.) won her sixth singles match in decisive fashion, but the Oswego State women’s tennis team (0-3) was edged out by Cortland (1-2), 8-1, at the Romney Tennis Courts on Thursday.
The three Laker doubles teams each lost 8-4 in matches where the Red Dragons pulled away late to score victories.
In singles action, Miller downed her opponent 6-2, 6-1. In fifth singles, senior Kelly Corwin (Rochester, N.Y.) took the first set, 6-3. She led 4-3 in the second set, but Cortland’s Dilara Kumbul came storming back to win the final three games of the set. Corwin ultimately lost the match, 10-3, in a supertiebreaker.
The Lakers next opponent is Fredonia, who they travel to face on Saturday at 1 p.m.
1. Loraine Jelinek (CORT) def. Nicole Leader (OSWW) 6-0, 6-0
2. Jean Martinez (CORT) def. Lauren Stall (OSWW) 6-0, 6-1
3. Shannon Grodotzke (CORT) def. Paige Edgar (OSWW) 6-0, 6-0
4. Janette O’Keefe (CORT) def. Kelsey Wilson (OSWW) 6-1, 6-1
5. Dilara Kumbul (CORT) def. Kelly Corwin (OSWW) 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-3)
6. Haley Miller (OSWW) def. Jaclyn Cartwright (CORT) 6-2, 6-1
1. Loraine Jelinek/Jean Martinez (CORT) def. Nicole Leader/Paige Edgar (OSWW) 8-4
2. Shannon Grodotzke/Janette O’Keefe (CORT) def. Hannah Rawlings/Lauren Stall (OSWW) 8-4
3. Dilara Kumbul/Mary Kopcienski (CORT) def. Kelly Corwin/Olivia Knierman (OSWW) 8-4.