OSWEGO – Oswego County Legislature Chairman Kevin Gardner (District 13, New Haven) announced appointments to the County Legislature’s standing committees for 2014.
The seven committees oversee departments of county government and make budgetary and policy recommendations to the full Legislature.
The new standing committees are:
• Government, Courts and Consumer Affairs: David Holst (District 4, Williamstown) chairman, John Martino (District 6, Central Square) vice chairman, Jacob Mulcahey (District 15, Oswego), Roy Reehil (District 5, Constantia), Milferd Potter (District 2, Orwell), Daniel Farfaglia (District 24, Fulton), and Terry Wilbur (District 21, Hannibal). The committee oversees the Board of Elections, Clerk of the Legislature, County Attorney’s Office, County Clerk’s Office, County Legislature, Office of the Chairman, Real Property Tax Service, and Weights and Measures Office, and meets at 10 a.m. on Mondays two weeks before the full Legislature meeting.
• Economic Development and Planning: Morris Sorbello (District 23, Granby), chairman, Shawn Doyle (District 3, Pulaski), vice chairman, Richard Kline (District 12, Pennellville), Douglas Malone (District 20, Town of Oswego), Daniel LeClair (District 8, Pennellville), Potter, and Amy Tresidder (District 16, Oswego). The committee oversees the Department of Community Development, Tourism and Planning and several authorized agencies and meets at 2 p.m. on Monday two weeks before the Legislature’s full meeting.
• Public Safety: Linda Lockwood (District 11, Volney), chairwoman, Margaret Kastler (District 1, Sandy Creek), vice chairwoman, Shane Broadwell (District 17, Oswego), Robert Hayes (District 10, Phoenix), Kline, Mulcahey, Reehil, and Tresidder. The committee oversees the District Attorney’s Office, E-911 Program, Emergency Management Office, Fire Coordinator’s Office, Probation Department and Sheriff’s Office. Meetings are held at 10 a.m. on the Tuesday two weeks before the full Legislature meeting.
• Infrastructure, Facilities and Technology: Robert Hayes, chairman, Milferd Potter, vice chairman, Frank Castiglia Jr. (District 25, Fulton), Holst, Martino, Marie Schadt (District 19, Minetto), Stephen M. Walpole (District 14, Scriba), and James Weatherup (District 9, Central Square). The committee is responsible for policies and legislation regarding the County Airport, the Buildings and Grounds Department, Central Services, Energy Recovery Facility, and Highway and Solid Waste departments. The committee meets at 2 p.m. on the Tuesday two weeks before the Legislature meeting.
• Health: John Proud (District 7, Mexico), chairman, James Karasek (District 22, Granby), vice chairman, Castiglia, Kastler, Michael Kunzwiler (District 18, Oswego), Lockwood, Malone, and Sorbello. The committee oversees the county Health Department. Meetings are held at 10 a.m. on the Wednesday two weeks before the full Legislature meeting.
• Human Services: Shane Broadwell, chairman, Daniel LeClair, vice chairman, Doyle, Farfaglia, Proud, Schadt, and Walpole. The committee oversees the Office for the Aging, Social Services Department, Veterans’ Services, and Youth Bureau, and meets at 2 p.m. on the Wednesday two weeks prior to the Legislature meeting.
• Finance and Personnel: Terry Wilbur, chairman, James Weatherup, vice chairman, Broadwell, Hayes, Holst, Karasek, and Kunzwiler. The committee oversees the County Audit Office, County Administrator’s Office, County Treasurer’s Office, Personnel and Purchasing departments, and meets at 2 p.m. on Tuesdays one week before the full Legislature meeting.
Committee meetings, which are open to the public, are held in the County Office Building at 46 E. Bridge St., Oswego.
Meeting agendas are posted on the county government Website at http://www.oswegocounty.com/legislature/meetings/agenda.html
For more information, contact the Office of the Chairman of the County Legislature at 349-8230 or 1-800-596-3200, ext. 8230.