LeVea’s Parole Denied – For Now

William LeVea's 2009 mugshot at left, and most recent prison mugshot April 2014.

William LeVea, the Fulton man who recklessly caused the death of Christopher Spack when he repeatedly rammed his vehicle into the man’s pickup truck, has been denied a request for an early release from prison.

William LeVea's 2009 mugshot at left, and most recent prison mugshot April  2014.
William LeVea’s 2009 mugshot at left, and most recent prison mugshot March 2014.

Tuesday morning (May 27) Cayuga County District Attorney Jon Budelmann released information received from the New York State Department of Corrections and Community Supervision that the parole board denied the convicted man’s request for early release on medical parole.

“Our office joins the family of Christopher Spack, Bradley Leyburn, Patrick Walton, and all of the other victims, and families of victims of William LeVea’s violent history, in thanking the public for the overwhelming show of support that helped defeat this defendant’s application for early release,” the DA said in his statement.

Donna Williams, who was Spack’s girlfriend, and spearheaded a Moveon.org petition to help keep LeVea in prison, said she was overwhelmed when she heard today’s news.

The online petition generated more than 3,000 signatures and was presented to the parole board to be considered as part of its decision process.

“I was happy and sad all at once,” Williams told Oswego County Today. “Happy LeVea won’t be released, sad Chris still isn’t here.”

During his trial, LeVea acknowledged that the District Attorney could prove beyond a reasonable doubt that on Nov. 20, 2009, at about 6:35 p.m., while driving westbound on Route 370 (east of Route 176) in the town of Cato, he recklessly and repeatedly rammed his car into the back of Spack’s 2000 Ford Ranger.

During a Cayuga County Court hearing in January 2010, Assistant District Attorney Diane Adsit said Spack was rammed by LeVea on Plainville Road in Onondaga County. She said Spack could be heard asking for help on E-911 recordings leading up to the crash in Cayuga County, and telling E-911 officials that he did not know who was chasing him or why they repeatedly rammed him whenever he tried to stop or pull over.

On the E-911 recording, “You hear the vehicle being rammed by the defendant,” Adsit said.

Williams said Spack was on the way to her house the night of the fatal crash. “I was the last person to talk to Chris,” Williams told Oswego County Today. “I heard everything on the phone that was happening, I went to the scene of the accident. I was so glad his family didn’t see what I did.”

It was revealed during the trial that the last time LeVea hit Spack’s truck they were driving at approximately 80 miles per hour.

The impact sent the truck spinning into oncoming traffic where the victim’s vehicle was struck by Leyburn’s Chevy Silverado, ripping Spack’s truck in half, ejecting and instantly killing the father-of-two.

Meanwhile Leyburn suffered a serious ankle injury during the collision and his 16-year-old passenger was not physically injured.

LeVea, now 83, was convicted of aggravated vehicular homicide and driving while intoxicated.

In March 2011 he was sentenced to serve 6-18 years at Livingston Correctional Facility.

When Williams learned that LeVea was seeking an early release from prison for medical reasons, she said at first she was speechless, then felt the need to be Spack’s voice so the community could help show the parole board what a disservice that would be.

“I became furious,” she said. “How can they let a murderer free because he is ‘sick’? I couldn’t let the justice system fail us. This man is a repeat offender and has no remorse. I knew I had to do to something not only for Chris but for his children.”

“At the funeral his daughter was (screaming and) shaking him to wake up. How do you explain to a 14-year-old and a 10-year-old they can’t touch their father because he was put back together and his body is fragile?” she added.

Williams said she knew the family needed more voices, “to show the parole board how this monster effected their lives.”

Searching the Internet for help, Williams said she came upon the Moveon.org website.

“We didn’t have much time but needed to reach as many people as possible,” she said.

Christopher Spack
Christopher Spack

Within two weeks of posting the petition the site had more than 3,000 signatures some asking, others demanding the parole board deny LeVea’s request for freedom.

“I was thrilled with the outcome!” Williams said. “I am not sure how much the petition effected the parole board’s decision but I feel I made a difference in keeping him where he belongs.”

In its decision the parole board stated, “The panel has determined that if released at this time, there is a reasonable probability that you (William LeVea) would not live and remain at liberty without again violating the law. Parole is denied.”

Budelmann noted Tuesday that the public has won the battle for now, “but our fight to keep this killer behind bars for the rest of his life will continue next summer, when this dangerous criminal comes up for his first regular parole hearing.”

Meanwhile the DA added, “the family of Christpher Spack is relieved to know that the man that killed their son, brother, father, husband and friend will remain behind bars for a least another year.”


  1. My heart goes out to the family and friends of Mr Spack …
    I was so happy to hear this decision this morning …
    Next year will be yet another battle and I will be right
    here waiting to sign another petition to keep this animal
    behind bars …

  2. I was also thrilled to hear of this decision. If I am not mistaken, this isn’t the only time Mr. LeVea has been jail or injured another person. Is it true that over 50 years ago he caused the death of a Fulton man? I hope he rots in jail.

  3. From our story published in April:
    After LeVea’s appearance, parole board members will make a decision whether to release LeVea or not.

    “We have been advised that the decision will be issued by May 27,” DA Jon Budelmann said.

    He noted there were other compelling reasons to keep the twice convicted felon in prison.

    “He has a long history of violent crimes. He was convicted in Oswego County in June 1968 … found guilty of assault second degree in a case where he struck a man in the head with a bar stool in a drunken bar brawl. That victim later died from complications associated with his injuries.”

    “In 1953 the defendant was convicted of reckless driving and assault third in Fulton; assault third in Onondaga County. He was also convicted in 1953 of robbery second degree, grand larceny and assault second degree in a case where he and two co-defendants brutally beat a man and robbed him.”

    More recently, in 2003, LeVea slammed into the back of a vehicle on Route 690 in Syracuse, when the vehicle’s driver stopped to assist another driver who was broken down in the road, according to the Cayuga County DA.

    “LeVea seriously injured that driver,” Budelmann said, “then ran up to her and yelled at her for being in the road. Like 2009, LeVea showed no concern whatsoever for the fact that she was seriously injured.”

    The Fulton man was not charged in that incident, the DA said, “but it demonstrates his lack of concern for the welfare of others he hurts.”


Comments are closed.