National Poison Prevention Week Observed

Poison Help

OSWEGO – Each year, Oswego Fire Department emergency personnel respond to several poisoning incidents.

PoisonsHouseholds contain several known poison hazards, as well as many we wouldn’t even consider dangerous.

The top five poisonous household products include hand sanitizers, button batteries, laundry detergent packets, ecigarettes, and medications.

Many incidents involve children.

Hand sanitizer is readily available just about everywhere. Just a small amount of certain hand sanitizers can be dangerous if ingested.

The sanitizer containers are rarely child protected, and make for easy
dispensing.

Poison control centers across the United States manage more than 17,000 hand sanitizer exposures in children under 12 years old annually.

9 out of 10 poisonings occur in homes, and it’s important to know which items pose serious risks, and to take the right precautions to protect your kids.

For more information on how to keep your children and loved ones safe from poisoning, visit www.makesafehappen.com.

Prevention is a great way to avoid injury and illness, but things still happen and our residents need to know what to do when a poisoning emergency occurs.

If you suspect someone has been poisoned, call 911 immediately to get help on the way.

The Poison Control Center also needs to be contacted at
1-800-222-1222.

This is a national toll free number that works anywhere in the United States 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

A best practice is to put this number in your emergency contacts on your phone.

There are currently 61 centers across the country that maintain information on recommended treatments for ingested poisons.

Visit the American Association of Poison Control Centers at www.aapcc.org

Medical advice may be given over the phone by poison control, or by the 911 call taker.

Please listen carefully and follow their instructions.

Once our personnel arrive on the scene, please be prepared to give them all of the pertinent information about the incident such as what was ingested or inhaled, how much and when.

This will assist in a more efficient treatment.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Oswego Fire Department headquarters at (315)-343-2161.

Call 911 Immediately for emergencies!