It will be held from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. April 15, in the Legislative Chambers of the County Office Building, 46 E. Bridge St., Oswego.
OSWEGO – Oswego County will partner with the American Red Cross to host a community blood drive in honor of former County Legislator John “Jack” Proud.
“Jack Proud served as legislator from the town of Mexico for more than two decades. He gave countless hours of service to the Legislature, its Health Committee, and to community organizations in Mexico and across Oswego County,” said County Legislature Chairman Jim Weatherup, District 9, Central Square. “Blood donations can help save people’s lives, and this is a way of showing how much we appreciate the lifelong contributions that Jack made to our county.”
The American Red Cross offers these tips for people before they donate blood:
– Hydrate: Be sure to drink plenty of fluids before and after your donation.
– Dress comfortably: Wear something comfortable with sleeves that can easily be rolled up above the elbow.
– ID: Bring either your donor card, driver’s license, or two other forms of identification to check in.
– Medications: Bring a list of medications that you are taking, including both prescription and over-the-counter medicines.
– Iron levels: Maintain healthy iron levels before donating. If possible, include iron-rich foods such as meat, fish and poultry in your diet, especially in the weeks before your donation.
To make an appointment for the April 15 blood drive, visit https://www.redcrossblood.org/give.html/find-drive or call Chris Jones, Clerk of the Legislature, weekdays at 315-349-8247.
For more information about the American Red Cross, call 1-800-733-2767 or visit www.redcross.org