OSWEGO – The Oswego YMCA is offering day camp to give kids and teens in Oswego an adventurous, active and healthy summer, one that will surely be described as “the best summer ever” for years to come.
YMCA camp programs offer youth fun and unique experiences with an opportunity to explore the outdoors, meet new friends, discover new interests and create memories that last a lifetime.
Summer is the ideal time for kids to get up, get out and explore.
But, for some kids summer means no access to recreational and educational activities to help them learn, grow and thrive during out-of-school time.
As a result, some kids can experience learning loss and gain weight twice as fast than during the school year.
Attending Oswego YMCA summer camp is a wonderful opportunity for kids to keep their minds and bodies active.
“YMCA summer camp supports the social-emotional growth, cognitive development and physical well-being of kids,” said Kyle Boeckmann, director of camps. “In our day camp, kids are in a welcoming environment where they can belong, they’re building relationships, developing character and discovering their potential. We really encourage parents to give their kids the gift of camp to keep their kids active and engaged throughout the summer.”
Boeckmann said there are five reasons why children and teens should attend summer camp:
1. ADVENTURE: Summer camp is all about a wide variety of new experiences and exploring the outdoors. YMCA camps have a new adventure for every child and teen. Visit www.oswegoymca.org for details.
2. HEALTHY FUN: Day and resident camps offer fun, stimulating activities that engage the body and mind, and also help children and teens learn the importance of nutrition to help improve their healthy eating habits.
3. PERSONAL GROWTH: While in the welcoming environment of camp, youth have a chance to learn new skills, and develop confidence and independence by taking on new responsibilities and challenges. Camps offer cognitive learning and social-emotional development opportunities for achievement.
4. FRIENDSHIPS: Amidst the fun of camp games, songs, swimming, canoeing and talent shows, campers meet new friends and strengthen existing friendships. The bonds formed at camp are important and lasting for many youth.
5. MEMORIES: Summer camp is an unforgettable experience that will give each camper memories (and camp traditions) that will last a lifetime. Youth return to school with plenty of camp stories to share!
The Oswego YMCA summer camp offers: games, team building, field trips, social networking, education and experiences to last a lifetime.
A leading nonprofit committed to nurturing the potential of youth, the Y has been a leader in providing summer camp for more than 131 years.
The Oswego YMCA CAMP continues to give youth an enriching, safe experience with caring staff and volunteers who model positive values that help build their kids’ character.
For more information, visit www.oswegoymca.org or contact Boeckmann at 315-342-6082 or [email protected]
About the Y
With more than 1,600 members, one in nine people living in the Oswego
community is a member of Oswego YMCA.
Each day, members find the support and services they need to improve their quality of life.
The Oswego YMCA serves as a community resource providing programs
including a variety of Aquatics programs and Swim Lessons, Youth,
Adult and Family Fitness, Active Older Adult with Silver & Fit and
Silver Sneakers opportunities, School Age Childcare, Summer Camp,
Parents Night Out, Kids Zumba, Stroller Strong, and parent and child
programs including Move & Groove and Splash & Play.
The YMCA is located at 265 W. First St., Oswego.
For more information, call the YMCA at 342-6082 or visit www.oswegoymca.org.