OSWEGO, NY – The 60th running of Oswego Speedway’s International Classic 200 for Novelis Supermodifieds will utilize a new qualifying format, compared to recent seasons, in order to determine the starting lineup for the 200 to be run on September 4.
Two separate rounds of two-lap qualifying time trials will still take place, with the opening round hitting the Speedway on ‘Fast Friday Pole Night’ on September 2. Unlike in previous seasons, the fastest 20 competitors will lock into Sunday’s Classic field from the first round of time trials.
The last handful of years has only seen the fastest 14 drivers qualify through round one.
The fastest 20 drivers based on Friday time trials will start in positions 1-20 for the International Classic. Drivers in positions 21 on back through the field will be aligned into two separate preliminary 15-lap Semi Final lineups to be contended on Sunday.
The 21st and 22nd fastest qualifiers will be set as the preliminary polesitters in each Semi Final, with the remainder of the starting lineups set straight up from time.
On Sunday at 11:30 a.m. a 30-minute second round of time trials will be conducted for drivers 21st on back, although it is not mandatory. In the second round of qualifying a driver may elect to drop his or her first round time, and current Semi Final starting position, in order to re-time with the goal of moving up in the Semi Final lineup order.
Sunday’s second round time trials can also be used by teams that did not make a first round time trial attempt on Friday.
If the entire 30 minutes of qualifying is not needed, the track will re-open for Supermodified practice.
At noon on Sunday, first and second round qualifying times for positions 21 on back will be combined, setting the official Semi Final lineups with the fastest drivers starting on the front row.
Each Semi Final will be 15 laps in length, with the first taking the green flag at 12:30 p.m.
A total of six drivers will qualify from each Semi Final, making up positions 21-32. The finish of the first Semi Final will make up the inside positions in rows 11-16, with the finish of the second Semi Final making up the outside positions in rows 11-16.
The final two positions in the International Classic field will be set using two provisional starters.
Following the two Semi Finals, Supermodifieds will be given their set of full-tank practice runs before moving into pre-race ceremonies for the Pathfinder Bank SBS Classic 75 at 2 p.m.
The International Classic 200 for Novelis Supermodifieds is set to take the green on that afternoon, no later than 4:30 p.m.
Pit gates will open on September 4 at 7 a.m. with hot laps being run from 9-11 a.m.
For more information on Oswego Speedway visit online at www.oswegospeedway.com or like on Facebook at www.facebook.com/OswegoSpeedway or follow on Twitter @OswegoSpeedway.
60th annual International Classic Qualifying Format
1. First Round Time Trials – ROW 1 – 2. First Round Time Trials
3. First Round Time Trials – ROW 2 – 4. First Round Time Trials
5. First Round Time Trials – ROW 3 – 6. First Round Time Trials
7. First Round Time Trials – ROW 4 – 8. First Round Time Trials
9. First Round Time Trials – ROW 5 – 10. First Round Time Trials
11. First Round Time Trials – ROW 6 – 12. First Round Time Trials
13. First Round Time Trials – ROW 7 – 14. First Round Time Trials
15. First Round Time Trials – ROW 8 – 16. First Round Time Trials
17. First Round Time Trials – ROW 9 – 18. First Round Time Trials
19. First Round Time Trials – ROW 10 – 20. First Round Time Trials
21. 1st Position – Semi Final 1 – ROW 11 – 22. 1st Position – Semi Final 2
23. 2nd Position – Semi Final 1 – ROW 12 – 24. 2nd Position – Semi Final 2
25. 3rd Position – Semi Final 1 – ROW 13 – 26. 3rd Position – Semi Final 2
27. 4th Position – Semi Final 1 – ROW 14 – 28. 4th Position – Semi Final 2
29. 5th Position – Semi Final 1 – ROW 15 – 30. 5th Position – Semi Final 2
31. 6th Position – Semi Final 1 – ROW 16 – 32. 6th Position – Semi Final 2
33. Commitment Provisional – ROW 17 – 34. Commitment Provisional
Classic Sunday Order of Events – Sunday, September 4 (Subject to Change)
Pits Open: 7 a.m.
Hot Laps: 9-11 a.m.
Second Round Supermodified Time Trials: 11:30 a.m.
Small Block Super Classic Consi (10 laps): noon
International Classic Semi Final #1 (15 laps): 12:30 p.m.
International Classic Semi Final #2 (15 laps): 12:45 p.m.
Supermodified Full Tank Runs: 1:30 p.m.
SBS Classic 75 Pre-Race: 2 p.m.
SBS Classic 75 Green: 2:30 p.m.
International Classic Pre-Race: 3:45 p.m.
International Classic 200 Green: 4:30 p.m.