FULTON, NY -The Fulton YMCA Speed Demon community swim team won its opening meet of the 2007 – 2008 season. The Speed Demons took nine of ten age groups in its meet against a smaller Oswego YMCA Dolphins team on Saturday, Oct. 27 at its home pool at Granby Elementary School.
The Speed Demons won their races in nine out of 10 age groups, including E girls, E boys, D boys, C girls, C boys, B girls, B boys, A girls and A boys. Teams are divided according to age (ages 5-8, 9-10, 11-12, 13-14, 15-18) and sex into ten groups.
“We’re extremely proud of the effort our swimmers put forward,” said longtime coach Cathy Peterson, on behalf of assistant coaches Cassandra Izyk and Rachael Fay.
Eight swimmers earned the right to swim in the New York YMCA State Meet in March on Long Island. They qualify based on posting times in individual events that are lower than the qualifying standard. The swimmers are:
- Devon Niccoli – 50 freestyle swim, 100 breaststroke;
- Rachel Louise – 50 freestyle, 100 backstroke;
- Molly Heagerty – 100 backstroke, 200 individual medley, 50 freestyle, 100 breaststroke;
- Courtney Beckwith – 50 breaststroke;
- Anthony Walrath – 100 breaststroke, 200 individual medley, 100 butterfly stroke;
- Janelle Tallents – 50 butterfly;
- Tim Walrath – 100 butterfly, 200 freestyle, 100 freestyle;
- Barbara Bortoletto – 50 freestyle.
The following swimmers took first place in their individual event(s) Oct. 27:
- E girls: Rachel LeVea (2), Sabrina Verdoliva
- E boys: Chris Smith, Jacob May
- D girls: Aliyah Conner
- D boys: David Tallents (2), Sage Hourihan, Kyle Buck, Jake LeVea
- C girls: Janelle Tallents (2), Hannah Jones, Courtney Beckwith
- C boys: Ross Gardner, Travis Castiglia, Brendan Smith, Austin Curtis (2)
- B girls: Rachel Guernsey (2), Dannielle Cobb, Alyssa Fruce (2)
- B boys: Josh Strauss (3), Scott Bullard, Miles Sisk
- A girls: Rachel Louise (2), Devon Niccoli, Molly Heagerty (2), Daisy Ruiz, Elizabeth Guernsey, Barbara Bortoletto
- A boys: Tim Walrath (2), Sean Caltabiano (2), Benjamin Davis (2), Anthony Walrath (2)
There were some very close races. In the 25 yard backstroke for boys ages 5-8, Chris Smith finished second by eight one-hundredths of a second — about the length of a finger.
Other tight races included:
- E girls (ages 5-8) , 25 free – Sabrina Verdoliva took second over third by 0.13 seconds
- E girls, 25 free – Miwa Burdic missed third and took fourth by 0.54 seconds
- D girls (ages 9-10), 100 free – Aliyah Conner took second over third by 0.38 seconds
- C girls (ages 11-12), 50 free – Adrianne Perry took third over fourth by 0.66 seconds
The following swimmers posted their personal best time in all their individual events:
- E girls: Miwa Burdic,Samantha Tanner, Sarah Tallents
- E boys: Jacob May, Caleb Trepasso
- D girls: Casey Jones, Kaitlyn Trudell, Bryanna Tanner
- D boys: Jake LeVea, Keegan Condon, Tyler Catalone
- C girls: Hannah Jones, Hannah Smith, Courtney DeLong
- C boys: Travis Castiglia
- B girls: Alyssa Fruce, Rachel Guernsey
- B boys – Josh Strauss, Miles Sisk
- A girls: Barbara Bortoletto
- A boys: Benjamin Davis, Nick Runeare, Matt Benton
The Speed Demons welcomed the following new swimmers to their first dual meet:
- E girls: Caitlyn McAfee, Ashley Mills, Miwa Burdic, Samantha Tanner, Sabrina Verdoliva
- E boys: Griffin Marriner, Jacob May, Caleb Trepasso, Bailey Hourihan
- D girls: Kaitlyn Trudell, Kate Thompson, Adrianna Dodge, Bryanna Tanner, Bailey Reading
- D boys: Brandon Webb, Tyler Catalone, Cameron Filippi, Tim McAfee
- C girls: Hannah Smith, Courtney DeLong
- C boys: Tobey Mills, Travis Castiglia, Jacob Strauss, Donny O’Bryan
- A girls: Barbara Bortoletto
- A boys: Nick Runeare and Matt Benton
The team also welcomed back two swimmers — Lacey Reich and Miles Sisk — who took a break from the team and returned.
Swimmers of the week include Rachel LeVea, Miwa Burdic, Jacob May, Caleb Trepasso, Kaitlyn Trudell, Jake LeVea, Keegan Condon, Tyler Catalone, Hannah Jones, Hannah Smith, Courtney DeLong, Travis Castiglia, Alyssa Fruce, Rachel Guernsey, Josh Strauss, Miles Sisk, Barbara Bortoletto, and Benjamin Davis.
Next up for the Speed Demons — a trip to Watertown on Saturday, Nov. 10.
The Fulton YMCA Speed Demons are a community-based swim team that competes in the Central New York region of the New York State Y Swimming League. Team members come from Fulton, Hannibal, Phoenix and other communities in the area. The team stresses individual improvement as part of a team’s effort.
|Junior Swimmers of the Week: From left are Jacob May, Caleb Trepasso, Keegan Condone, (second row) Rachel LeVea, Miwa Burdic, Tyler Catalone, (back) Kaitlyn Trudell and Jake LeVea.|