By Janel Sullivan/Staff writer
Hayley, Camille, Kelly, and Rachel kicked off Tuesday’s Board of Education meeting and Music In Our Schools Month in style. The four sixth graders from Granby Elementary stood in front of the room and played a violin rendition of Musette by Johann Sebastian Bach.
Before the girls impressed the Board, Debra Farden, the district’s music facilitator, gave a brief history of the month. Music in Our Schools Month has grown from a day, 40 years ago, to a week and finally to a month-long celebration of school music and musicians. Fulton started its month off with last weekend’s performance of Hello, Dolly!
The music department will be hosting events for the remainder of the month:
- 15th Volney Band/Orchestra performs at Syracuse Crunch game
- 15-16 All-County Secondary Orchestra Festival
- 18 G. Ray Bodley Chorus Concert 7:30 GRB Auditorium
- 19 Lanigan Concert 6:30 Lanigan Cafeteria
- 19 Volney Concert 6:30 GRB Auditorium
- 20 FJHS High 7th Grade Concert 6:30 FJHS Gymnasium
- 20 FJHS 8th Grade Concert 8:00 FJHS Gymnasium
- 21 Fairgrieve Concert 6:30 Fairgrieve Gymnasium
- 27 G. Ray Bodley Band Concert 7:30 GRB Auditorium
- 27 Granby Concert 6:30 Granby Cafeteria
- 28 G. Ray Bodley Orchestra Concert 7:30 GRB Auditorium
Farden invited community members to attend as many concerts as possible, and guarantees Fultonians will be impressed by the music students.
The theme for this year’s music event is “Music Lasts a Lifetime!” and the girls who performed at the meeting were a testament to this. Each of them has older siblings who are also involved in Fulton’s music department. “They help us remember why we do all the things we do,” said Board President David Cordone of the live performance.