Apparently the lure of the breakwall on a warm summer’s day is just too much to resist. It’s a hat trick. For the third time in about a week, the Oswego Fire Department was dispatched and Marine One headed out to the Oswego breakwall for a report of several people in distress. Shortly after 5 p.m. today (Aug. 12), a concerned citizen called 911 stating that eight or nine people were on the breakwall. Rescue crews were dispatched at 5:22 p.m. Once again, fire officials said, luckily, there were no injuries.
The 30th annual National Fallen Firefighters Memorial Weekend will honor 10 New York State firefighters who died in the line of duty in 2010 and in previous years, including an Oswego firefighter. Scott W. Davis of the Oswego Fire Department died after suffering a heart attack within 24 hours after several emergency responses on June 20, 2010.
The city will form a committee to look at not only the fire department’s issues regarding overtime but all departments in general. Councilors hope the move will save the city thousands of dollars.
With the arrival of summer, local residents are spending more and more time outdoors enjoying the warmer weather. However, because the city of Oswego has an Open Burning Ordinance, many residents have felt that they were unable to partake in barbecues or camp fires.
In anticipation of this weekend’s “Spring Ahead,” the moving ahead of our clocks to Daylight Saving Time, the Oswego Fire Department would like to remind all residents to also change the batteries in their smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
The commissioners of the Oswego Town Fire District would like to address some of the possible concerns of our residents in light of recently published articles regarding the Town of Oswego ambulance service. First and foremost we want to assure the residents that the Town of Oswego Volunteer Fire Department will continue to provide our community with first response EMS service.
As temperatures drop outdoors and people take steps to warm their homes, the National Fire Protection Association and the Oswego Fire Department urge the public to be mindful of the risks associated with home heating.