With spring in full bloom, we are again busy at the society as researchers and other interested persons have been stopping by in larger numbers.
On May 17, we had more than a dozen people in and out during a work day.
Thanks to Carl and Jeri Dashnaw for the slightly used computer desk and for taking some time to visit with us.
John Grala and his wife from Oswego dropped by with a couple from Australia they had met.
The couple were just passing through and met the Gralas who offered to be their tour guides in Oswego County.
They got chicken barbque from Pulaski Masons and ate atop Salmon River Falls, and came by Half-Shire to look at some of our old photos of the falls.
We talked about family history, the gentleman descended from a “convict” who had stolen two silver spoons in England and was transported to Australia.
His wife’s family had escaped the communists in Bulgaria just after the Second World War.
Every family has a story or two; do you know yours?
Richland deputy historian Kevin Stewart was with us May 17 and 18 and assisted with some research tasks.
Kevin is spending a lot of time on the Stewart files, and has made some new discoveries of records in Connecticut he was able to upload for our collection.
Kevin also checked on our computers and upgraded some programs.
Erma Schoreder continued to work on the county fair premium book which we are in hopes of finishing this week.
We were pleased to see Ella Gibbs Cox from Richland who came in and shared lots of family history with us.
Trustee Glenna Gorski and Dick were in from Williamstown on Sunday and updated us on the Westdale book soon to be on sale.
Kim Southwell came in to check out progress on the Jon Southwell memorial room, in which the foundation walls were treated this weekend.
As this goes to press out new flooring system will be installed and we can’t wait to see it!
Members of Cooperative Extension staff came by on Saturday to construct raised beds out back for the Richland community garden that is being managed to support the healthy living classes offered at Rural and Migrant Ministry across the tracks this year.
The classes will relocate to Half-Shire for the summer months where the participants will also work these new gardens.
Our Facebook was very busy as members continue to identify people in our 1970 Pulaski school photos.
These color photos were not in the yearbooks, and have never before been printed.
Darren Gorman of Pulaski shook up members of the class of 1983 when he brought in eighth grade trip photos and threatened to bring in senior trip photos!
We had some fun with these and there are “more to come.”
Darren also brought in a postcard from the 1920s showing the St. James parsonage in Pulaski that has stumped us as to where it was.
Also, on Facebook the 1949 St. Mary’s Church confirmation class photo from Florence is nearly all identified thanks to Ken Trudell, Alice Matthews, Bill Graves, Stedman and Mary Lou Twiss, Mike, Matt and Monica Clark, Virginia Brennan Pelsue, Dick Brennan, Beth Yerdon Robertson, Dorothy Fey, Leona Chereshnoski, and especially Julia Marie Lambie who “rammed the roads” with me as we took it around after Lola Moore’s wake on May 15.
Lola Hall Moore was a legendary lady, aged 93, and her passing surely ends a generation of knowledge in the Osceola community.
Lola was co-author of the great Osceola Book printed more than 20 years ago that is a touchstone for anyone doing any research there.
Lola was a long-time Half-Shire member and supporter and we have many items that came from her.
We also have extensive holdings on the Moore and Hall families thanks to among others Marie Parsons who was a cousin of Graydon Moore.
We have a fresh set of maps copied for map enthusiasts.
Thanks to Walt and Sally Smith of Pulaski for all they have donated, and many of the interesting ones are now scanned and available for sale at $10 each.
A donor from Vestal, Jack Higham, sent us a good copy of the 1907 Camden Advance Journal map of that village.
We have had the map scanned and made some nice copies that we can sell for $10 with the proceeds to benefit our research fund.
The map shows where everyone lived at the time and is in color suitable to be framed.
Half-Shire is open right now Thursday-Sunday from 11a.m. until 3 p.m., with added hours as we can through the week.
We are working on re-aligning our volunteers and hope to have a new seven day schedule soon for the summer.
We will also open by appointment most anytime.
Stop by for a cup of coffee and a walk through the past.
We can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org, Half Shire on facebook, or the web www.halfshire.com/org (under reconstruction), 315-298-2986 or P.O. 73, 1100 County Route 48 Richland, NY 13144.